One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The bodyguard of the Roman emperor.
- ‘Power is held by a strongman, surrounded by a praetorian guard.…’
- ‘He surrounded himself with a praetorian guard, chosen more for its loyalty and orthodoxy than visionary intelligence.’
- ‘Around Blair, he has his own version of the no turning back group that formed a praetorian guard around Thatcher in the 1980s.’
- ‘Before his return Mucianus had reduced the praetorian guard, enlarged by Vitellius, to approximately its old size, and they were entrusted to Titus on his return.’
- ‘It's far worse than anything that occurred in the Roman empire, until the praetorian guard started to sell the principate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.