One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of poor quality; worthless.‘they've won one poxy trophy’
minute, small-scale, scaled-down, mini, baby, toy, pocket, fun-size, petite, dwarfish, knee-high, miniature, minuscule, microscopic, nanoscopic, infinitesimal, micro, diminutive, pocket-sized, reduced, lilliputianView synonyms
- ‘I think I wrote about what I'd had to drink and how poxy the audience were though.’
- ‘I'm just sick to the back teeth of waiting for this poxy thing to show up.’
- ‘Our parents and, even worse, our grandparents - people who remained engaged for five or six years so they could save up enough to buy a whole house, not just the poxy five per cent deposit - must think we are insane.’
- ‘There was no option but to disassemble the poxy thing, stuff it back into it's box (needless to say they never go back in) and schlep back to Croydon.’
- ‘So I sat there for the whole exam staring miserably at this poxy exam paper and waiting for the first opportunity of escape.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.