One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of poor quality; worthless.‘they've won one poxy trophy’
minute, small-scale, scaled-down, mini, baby, toy, pocket, fun-size, petite, dwarfish, knee-high, miniature, minuscule, microscopic, nanoscopic, infinitesimal, micro, diminutive, pocket-sized, reduced, lilliputianView synonyms
- ‘There was no option but to disassemble the poxy thing, stuff it back into it's box (needless to say they never go back in) and schlep back to Croydon.’
- ‘I'm just sick to the back teeth of waiting for this poxy thing to show up.’
- ‘So I sat there for the whole exam staring miserably at this poxy exam paper and waiting for the first opportunity of escape.’
- ‘I think I wrote about what I'd had to drink and how poxy the audience were though.’
- ‘Our parents and, even worse, our grandparents - people who remained engaged for five or six years so they could save up enough to buy a whole house, not just the poxy five per cent deposit - must think we are insane.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.