One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of large DNA viruses that cause smallpox and similar infectious diseases in vertebrates.
- ‘The vaccine is freeze-dried, live vaccinia virus, a poxvirus related to smallpox virus.’
- ‘He followed this achievement by showing how poxviruses express their genes and replicate their DNA in host cells.’
- ‘Bacteriophage is a tailed, double-stranded DNA virus that serves as an important model for assembly of large DNA viruses such as herpes and poxviruses.’
- ‘In the 1950s an introduced poxvirus decimated the European rabbit, the lynx's main prey.’
- ‘Like all viruses, poxviruses co-opt various cellular molecules and processes to enter a cell, replicate and then spread to uninfected cells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.