One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of competitive weightlifting in which contestants attempt three types of lift in a set sequence.
- ‘An athlete with tremendous endurance and power, he was drawn to sports that suited his size and muscularity, including shot put and discus, powerlifting, and even bodybuilding.’
- ‘The sports it can be applied to include powerlifting and Olympic-style weightlifting, but what about bodybuilding?’
- ‘Four years ago, I left bodybuilding for powerlifting (it was the dieting that got to me).’
- ‘I am 21, began powerlifting at 14, and at 18 I got deep into bodybuilding.’
- ‘In this month's issue, for instance, we have a feature on powerlifting, an article on alternative prohormone supplements, and one on how and when to bend training rules.’
- ‘There is plenty of good information available online and at bookstores for anyone who wishes to get involved in powerlifting.’
- ‘I've been competing drug-free and working as a fitness instructor since 1982, have been promoting bodybuilding and powerlifting shows since 1987 and have owned three gyms since 1989.’
- ‘You don't have to actually be a powerlifter to achieve the benefits from exercises associated with powerlifting - deadlifts, clean-and-presses, and squats.’
- ‘I am inviting everybody to come and watch or take part in weightlifting and powerlifting,’ he said.’
- ‘I did powerlifting for strength, but that was it.’
- ‘The team has more world-record lifts than any other powerlifting training center in the world.’
- ‘Before I started bodybuilding, I had already acquired a great deal of strength from powerlifting, so when I launched into tons of barbell curls, my biceps exploded.’
- ‘But as a 45-year-old who began serious powerlifting training at 41, she's a downright phenomenon.’
- ‘It's the ideal way to prepare your muscle for activities that require velocity or quick recoil, such as powerlifting, basketball, tennis, martial arts and track and field.’
- ‘All have pasts steeped in bodybuilding, powerlifting, Olympic lifting or all three, and many are competitive powerlifters still; as strongmen, the training rules are off.’
- ‘‘Even for precontest training, powerlifting is better than high-rep movements,’ he explains.’
- ‘Although slim-soled shoes, talcum powder on the thighs and ammonia capsules are all staples of powerlifting, they are unnecessary distractions for bodybuilders.’
- ‘For decades, powerlifting's three lifts - the bench press, squat and deadlift - have been considered the truest barometers of a person's overall strength, and for good reason.’
- ‘Sitting quietly backstage before the contest, she admitted that after a long career as an amateur, she was ready to put aside her bodybuilding efforts and give powerlifting a try.’
- ‘Once she began lifting weights consistently, she naturally gravitated to competitive powerlifting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.