One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of competitive weightlifting in which contestants attempt three types of lift in a set sequence.
- ‘I did powerlifting for strength, but that was it.’
- ‘Sitting quietly backstage before the contest, she admitted that after a long career as an amateur, she was ready to put aside her bodybuilding efforts and give powerlifting a try.’
- ‘Before I started bodybuilding, I had already acquired a great deal of strength from powerlifting, so when I launched into tons of barbell curls, my biceps exploded.’
- ‘It's the ideal way to prepare your muscle for activities that require velocity or quick recoil, such as powerlifting, basketball, tennis, martial arts and track and field.’
- ‘The sports it can be applied to include powerlifting and Olympic-style weightlifting, but what about bodybuilding?’
- ‘I am inviting everybody to come and watch or take part in weightlifting and powerlifting,’ he said.’
- ‘I've been competing drug-free and working as a fitness instructor since 1982, have been promoting bodybuilding and powerlifting shows since 1987 and have owned three gyms since 1989.’
- ‘For decades, powerlifting's three lifts - the bench press, squat and deadlift - have been considered the truest barometers of a person's overall strength, and for good reason.’
- ‘An athlete with tremendous endurance and power, he was drawn to sports that suited his size and muscularity, including shot put and discus, powerlifting, and even bodybuilding.’
- ‘Once she began lifting weights consistently, she naturally gravitated to competitive powerlifting.’
- ‘But as a 45-year-old who began serious powerlifting training at 41, she's a downright phenomenon.’
- ‘I am 21, began powerlifting at 14, and at 18 I got deep into bodybuilding.’
- ‘You don't have to actually be a powerlifter to achieve the benefits from exercises associated with powerlifting - deadlifts, clean-and-presses, and squats.’
- ‘Although slim-soled shoes, talcum powder on the thighs and ammonia capsules are all staples of powerlifting, they are unnecessary distractions for bodybuilders.’
- ‘In this month's issue, for instance, we have a feature on powerlifting, an article on alternative prohormone supplements, and one on how and when to bend training rules.’
- ‘All have pasts steeped in bodybuilding, powerlifting, Olympic lifting or all three, and many are competitive powerlifters still; as strongmen, the training rules are off.’
- ‘‘Even for precontest training, powerlifting is better than high-rep movements,’ he explains.’
- ‘The team has more world-record lifts than any other powerlifting training center in the world.’
- ‘Four years ago, I left bodybuilding for powerlifting (it was the dieting that got to me).’
- ‘There is plenty of good information available online and at bookstores for anyone who wishes to get involved in powerlifting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.