Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The mechanism that transmits the drive from the engine of a vehicle to its axle.
- ‘Unfortunately this new power train did not fit within the confines of the chassis and it was obvious a major re-think was required.’
- ‘By marrying an electric motor with a conventional power train, hybrids save money at the pump, reduce consumption of foreign oil, cut tailpipe emissions, and maybe even give the car's performance an extra kick.’
- ‘‘The other major efficiency change with the machine is that we've gone to an electronic power train,’ he continues.’
- ‘Its instruments can be found throughout an automobile's power train and chassis, even measuring the weight of a passenger so that air bags inflate properly.’
- ‘For versatility and performance it has two power trains and electronically controlled All Wheel Drive system.’
- ‘These include models of automobile braking and electrical circuits, operation of the power train and various fuel injection techniques.’
- ‘You want this in hydraulic systems and in transmissions, axles, and other elements of the power train.’
- ‘This trend is driven by the needs of the automotive manufacturers to substantially reduce weight of the power train and chassis components.’
- ‘Outfitted with a fully electric power train, most of the car - everything but its prime mover - looks like a giant electrical appliance.’
- ‘While the 1.3-litre micro range holds the majority of sales, demand has developed for micro cars with a slightly larger power train.’
- ‘One of the most difficult manufacturing issues to overcome was how to install power trains for both front and rear-wheel drive Transits on a common production line.’
- ‘Do things that force them to shake off their old image of us; give them pause to consider that we've changed in every way - from our power train to our interior ergonomics.’
- ‘These companies have to look 25 years ahead, because that's how long it takes to get new models and new power trains from development stage to the showroom.’
- ‘Despite its opulent equipment, enormous luxuriously appointed interiors, terrific power trains, and strong build, it lost out on a price tag too few people could aspire to in Ireland.’
- ‘This oil analysis will provide clues to any deteriorating engine, power train or hydraulic conditions.’
- ‘It's the most promising technology for future cars' power trains.’
- ‘Two or three times a year we should introduce a limited version with a unique color, a different look and new power train, and do it in a region so you can get some marketing behind it.’
- ‘If you add a power train or a turbo boost, you've automatically improved it.’
- 1.1The power train mechanism, the engine, and the axle considered collectively.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.