One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A situation in which two or more people or groups compete for control in a particular sphere.‘a power struggle between the FA and the Premier League was blamed for his resignation’‘a bitter power struggle ensued which would sow the seeds of the regime's eventual downfall’
- ‘Talk of power struggles between director and star have been commonplace since movies began.’
- ‘For the poor natives left behind, it's an uncertain time, filled with marauding Saxons and power struggles among local chieftains.’
- ‘There are hidden plots and power struggles to contend with, and he finds himself increasingly isolated from all but the most trusted people in his life.’
- ‘With a general election approaching, a power struggle for succession begins even before the chairman is pronounced dead.’
- ‘Their initial struggle for survival soon turns into a desperate and deadly power struggle between two groups, one humanist and civilised, the other savage and militarist.’
- ‘Rather than getting into a power struggle with your daughter, why not help her develop other strengths, just in case?’
- ‘The film is basically a comic dance, a power struggle between these two characters, and a showcase for the considerable talents of Winslet and Keitel.’
- ‘Her autocratic ruler is locked in a power struggle with Parliament, a conflict that is building inexorably towards civil war.’
- ‘Their power struggle inevitably leads to violence.’
- ‘The narration (presented in Italian with English subtitles) is also more factually accurate and detailed, explaining certain power struggles and the bloody results of tribal conflicts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.