One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An installation where electrical power is generated for distribution.
- ‘The hardest part is to capture the carbon dioxide in the power station instead of pumping it into the air.’
- ‘If the scheme goes ahead the huge complex will be built on land that was occupied by a previous power station until the 1980s.’
- ‘The reason we used it is that there used to be a power station there.’
- ‘The power station built by Japanese grant aid began generating electricity in 1960.’
- ‘You cannot switch a nuclear power station on and off at will, like rival energy sources, to exploit periods of peak demand.’
- ‘This natural dam was consolidated and a power station installed in more recent times.’
- ‘When you burn it in a power station you release that carbon dioxide back to the atmosphere.’
- ‘He said an American company had agreed to build a power station there which would be of immense benefit to the area.’
- ‘Rather than build the development to match the surrounding homes, it's been built to match the power station.’
- ‘He dammed the loch, built a power station, and began installing what was to become the most sophisticated fish farm in the world.’
- ‘He says the power station prides itself on being a good neighbour and intends to be a vital part of the local community for years to come.’
- ‘It takes time to build a power station, and the current supply is dictated by decisions made five or so years ago.’
- ‘They were planning to visit a power station in the country for work.’
- ‘But if a power station is developed, pressure will be increased on the National Assembly.’
- ‘The group used the website to sell goods bearing the image and name of the power station, and it hoped to expand its retail operation.’
- ‘Talk was that they were building an electric power station a couple of miles up river.’
- ‘But the industry believes that it should go somewhere where there has already been a nuclear power station.’
- ‘One of the guys who runs the power station hasn't been paid in nine months, but he keeps doing his job.’
- ‘The scheme will generate its own electricity, from its own power station.’
- ‘He is a machine fitter and has been helping the British Engineers bring the power station back on line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.