One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An association of groups, especially nations, having a common interest and acting as a single political force.
- ‘The resulting power bloc produced systems of political transformism and economic protectionism that corrupted parliamentary life and distorted industrial development.’
- ‘No single nation could survive in today's world without being part of a power block.’
- ‘It has spawned a new power bloc, made up of faceless fund managers and large multinationals who are ideologically unsympathetic to egalitarian policies.’
- ‘What the Republic needs is to become a member of a political power block capable of protecting the Celtic Tiger.’
- ‘It sounds to me like geopolitical manoeuvring rather than the formation of an active power bloc.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.