Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The production and working of metals as fine powders which can be pressed and sintered to form objects.
- ‘The properties of powder metallurgy compacts produced by the techniques described above are not comparable to the properties obtained in the wrought metal.’
- ‘For certain products, such as those produced by powder metallurgy or from small ingots, it may be possible to significantly alter the distribution of insoluble particles.’
- ‘Originally, niobium metal was produced by powder metallurgy methods which involved high temperature vacuum sintering and carbon reduction.’
- ‘Alloys prepared by powder metallurgy, in which often very large amounts of alloying elements are incorporated, naturally reach much higher strengths, usually at the expense of ductility and stress corrosion resistance.’
- ‘For the most complex alloy systems, powder metallurgy is employed to prevent gross segregation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.