One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The estimated minimum level of income needed to secure the necessities of life.
- ‘Around 40 percent of the country's population live on incomes below the official poverty line.’
- ‘Instead they are put on just 70 percent of the level of income support, which is already below the poverty line.’
- ‘One of the variables included in the survey is household income relative to the poverty line.’
- ‘More than half the population are now living below the poverty line.’
- ‘Forty years earlier, a family at the poverty line had an income that was 42.6 percent of the median income.’
- ‘Angry pensioners have banded together to protest at crippling council tax levels leaving them on the poverty line.’
- ‘When mothers of preschoolers worked, their family income rose above the poverty line.’
- ‘One quarter of single parent families and pensioners are living on an income below the poverty line.’
- ‘The Institute sets the poverty line at 50 percent of the median disposable income in the economy.’
- ‘This is legally possible because minimum wages have been kept way below the poverty line.’
- ‘So how many people are existing on an income below the poverty line?’
- ‘What percentage of Costa Rican coffee-growing families are living below the poverty line?’
- ‘We are supportive of the concept of the reduction of taxation if the family income is under the poverty line.’
- ‘The many elderly who rely on low state pensions, but who resist means testing, suffer incomes below the poverty line.’
- ‘The poverty line does not even account for regional variations in the cost of living!’
- ‘With half the population below the poverty line and one-third out of work, the utility hikes may well simply be unsustainable.’
- ‘Each of these groups contains a high concentration of those below the poverty line.’
- ‘They are still living below the poverty line, and that poverty line is an inhuman poverty line.’
- ‘The poverty line encompasses minimum food spending and other basic expenditures.’
- ‘Since 1996, living standards have improved the most for children who were living just below the poverty line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.