One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of various shrubs (especially the emu bush) which grows in the poor soil of the drier regions of Australia.‘a low wind hissed through the poverty bushes that lined the road’
- ‘Poverty bushes create splashes of brilliant colour.’
- ‘The hopbush, poverty bush, and arcasia are in bloom.’
- ‘The stamens are entirely enclosed by the flower and not held outside as in some poverty bushes.’
- ‘There are occasional outcrops of the underlying sandstones as small hills carrying scattered shrubs such as wattle, poverty bush, and cassia.’
- ‘He preferred the tougher life up north with its poverty bushes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.