A dish of chips topped with cheese curds and gravy.
- ‘Other favorites include French onion soup, pea soup, and poutine, a traditional dish made with French fries or grated potatoes.’
- ‘My friend and I began our recent dinner with an order of poutine.’
- ‘Along with fries and pizza, poutine is a very common dish sold and eaten in high school cafeterias in various parts of Canada.’
- ‘And, of course, the famous dish around here, poutine is being eaten here.’
- ‘Everybody is talking politics over their poutine.’
1980s: Canadian French, either from French pouding pudding or directly from pudding.