Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rich cake containing a pound, or equal weights, of each chief ingredient, typically flour, butter, and sugar.
- ‘Dessert is fresh fruit, pound cake with lemon curd and cream, and assorted sweet bars.’
- ‘No, one year there was a pound cake with no frosting and one big candle in the middle.’
- ‘But before I relinquish my halter tops, flip flops, and the oscillating fan, you can be sure I'll stash a bit of summer in the freezer, in the form of a raspberry-blueberry pound cake.’
- ‘If you're making your own pound cake, brownies or angel food cake for the chocolate fondue, get baking.’
- ‘But I'll offer this: for every hundred dollars you donate to a recognized charity (or the Lake Providence effort), I will mail you a homemade pound cake.’
- ‘Today I made a toasted almond buttercrunch pound cake and a hazelnut & chocolate loaf.’
- ‘We had a nice, crusty baguette and one of the guests brought an orange pound cake served with strawberries and whipped cream for dessert.’
- ‘This glaze also will work on a pan of brownies, a pound cake, even a fruit tart.’
- ‘Now with a tiny bit of sugar, just brush it all over the pound cake.’
- ‘Instead, they fill their plates with slices of lavender-scented pound cake, streusel-topped coffee cake, lemon buttermilk Bundt cake, and a rich chocolate cake.’
- ‘After making the drink, use the plumped, liqueured apricots in desserts or compotes or to top pound cake or ice cream.’
- ‘A choice of chewy dried figs, juicy strawberries, and buttery pound cake awaits within the sweet version.’
- ‘As it turned out, however, the cake itself is just a chocolate cake whose batter is similar to that of regular pound cake, and it is brushed with mulled wine after it has been baked.’
- ‘Mom's desserts were even better: German chocolate cake, melt-in-your-mouth cinnamon rolls, apple and blueberry pies, and rich, heavy pound cake made from farm fresh eggs.’
- ‘She's taking her sweet time experimenting with goodies like pound cake and tunnel-of-fudge cake, aiming for the perfect concoction with science as her guide.’
- ‘The aromas of chocolate-chip cookies, pound cake and lemon chess pie complete the feel-good picture.’
- ‘Pair this with fresh berries or a pastry such as pound cake that's not too sweet.’
- ‘And for dessert we all had lemon and lavender pound cake with crushed blackberries, which by far was the best part of the meal.’
- ‘After he gets some fresh fruit, vegetables, a cheesecake, a pound cake, some ice cream, macaroni & cheese, and a few other things he decides that we can finally leave.’
- ‘You can also make this dessert with fat-free golden pound cake.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.