Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Domestic fowl, such as chickens, turkeys, ducks, and geese.
- ‘Half of that number are cow dairies and the other half raise beef cattle, poultry, goats, and sheep.’
- ‘She milked the cows, reared poultry, made the butter and undertook a host of other chores.’
- ‘I love the fact that I can feed my family on our own home-grown pork, beef, lamb and poultry.’
- ‘There's lots of fish and seafood to be had, as well as a selection of poultry and red meat.’
- ‘If poultry are secured and lambing is done indoors, that would remove a food source for the foxes.’
- ‘If horses and poultry live on these holdings, they can also be included in the collection scheme.’
- ‘Shanghai is the main consumer of livestock and poultry in the Yangtze River Delta.’
- ‘Among the competitors were classes of cattle, sheep and poultry judged by the region's animal experts.’
- ‘If a farmer wants to take a basket of poultry or a goat or two to the market, the bus company will be kind enough to help.’
- ‘The poultry industry is backing the importance of good hygiene in the kitchen.’
- ‘These included not only the normal range of meat joints and poultry, but also whole cattle and sheep.’
- ‘Frozen turkeys or other poultry must always be thawed fully before cooking.’
- ‘It would then be the duty of every owner and every person in charge of poultry in that area to comply with that notice.’
- ‘More than one million poultry have been culled since the start of the year in a bid to stem the spread of the disease.’
- ‘Specific arrangements may need to be put in place for poultry, horses, fish and exotic livestock.’
- ‘There are many pure breeds of poultry in the UK, some of which are quite rare.’
- ‘The scheme now being introduced is a comprehensive one covering all farm animals and poultry.’
- ‘The authorities are also conducting tests on dead domestic poultry found in another area of the capital.’
- ‘Diseased and other poultry on the Infected Premises will be slaughtered quickly.’
- ‘He added that there was also evidence that playing certain music reduced stress within poultry as well.’
- 1.1 The flesh of chickens and other domestic fowl as food.‘I haven't eaten red meat for 19 years and poultry for 12 years’‘raw or cooked meat and poultry’‘anyone handling raw poultry should wash their hands thoroughly’
Middle English: from Old French pouletrie, from poulet ‘pullet’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.