One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A horizontal revolving disc on which wet clay is shaped into pots or other round ceramic objects.
- ‘Stoneware vessels were often shaped by hand on a potter's wheel or sometimes formed in a wooden mold.’
- ‘Those with wheel expertise would demonstrate and instruct on the potter's wheel, and others would teach coil building.’
- ‘This outside work area is adjacent to the pottery building where the potter's wheels, kilns, and stockpile of clay and glazes are housed.’
- ‘I would love to learn how to do other forms of art as well, like using a potter's wheel, photography and graphic arts.’
- ‘In this cradle of civilisation the first system of writing was developed, and the potter's wheel, the seed plough and many other creations we now take for granted were invented.’
- ‘They are also made with the potter's wheel as well as glazes and enamels introduced from Spain.’
- ‘Melodies sing, phrases are shaped like clay on a potter's wheel, and rhythms are given a gentle bounce.’
- ‘One potter might form the bowl, either through casting the clay in a mold or hand-forming it on a potter's wheel.’
- ‘At times that play may actually be fun, at times it will feel more like the refiner's fire or the potter's wheel.’
- ‘In front of the window sat a table, a cabinet, an easel, and a potter's wheel.’
- ‘They were thrilled to get their hands on the potter's wheel.’
- ‘Lisbeth had a potter's wheel that she'd brought with her from Denmark - she'd studied pottery at college.’
- ‘He hand-built many works from slabs, and also had forms thrown to his specifications on the potter's wheel.’
- ‘Air bubbles will also make working on the potter's wheel more difficult.’
- ‘Evidence would suggest that after about 900AD the potter's wheel as we would recognise it came back into fashion.’
- ‘No, we don't have a potter's wheel - these pots were hand-built!’
- ‘To the right was a potter's wheel and a collection of beakers, test tubes, and empty containers made variously of clay, stone, shell, wood, and glass.’
- ‘We're going to start using the potter's wheel, since everyone seems to get the flow of hand molding.’
- ‘I couldn't fight something that ate away from the inside, leaving me malleable like a piece of wet clay on the potter's wheel.’
- ‘I would shape pots at the potter's wheel, which in the days when I was a teenager was a tool you moved by kicking.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.