Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The energy possessed by a body by virtue of its position relative to others, stresses within itself, electric charge, and other factors.Compare with kinetic energy
- ‘Ah, the joys of watching gravitational potential energy convert into kinetic energy.’
- ‘He criticised Descartes' ideas of mechanics and examined what are effectively kinetic energy, potential energy and momentum.’
- ‘The energy flow resulting from transforming kinetic energy into potential energy is heat.’
- ‘The molecules convert their kinetic energy into potential energy when they rise into the air just like the ball did.’
- ‘The gravitation force actually converts potential energy into mass by forcing protons and electrons to combine into neutrons.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.