One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A battleship whose crew mutinied in the Russian Revolution of 1905 when in the Black Sea, bombarding Odessa before seeking asylum in Romania. The incident persuaded the tsar to agree to a measure of reform.
Having a false or deceptive appearance, especially one presented for the purpose of propaganda.‘a Potemkin news network, set up only to give the appearance of a free press’
- ‘Meanwhile the rounding up of spurious suspects, like Potemkin villages, serves to mask the Government's weakness, rather than exemplify its strengths.’
- ‘The Shuttle has become like a Potemkin space program, built purely for the purpose of appearing to exist.’
- ‘Although I thought of Potemkin villages and Soviet demands for conformity, 1 believe that I heard statements of genuine belief.’
- ‘Now, there's a 21st century twist on the Potemkin village: Potemkin refugee camps!’
- ‘Typically in such cases, democracy is a Potemkin affair.’
- ‘The Leftist Potemkin seems to think we should have the same rules for children as for adults.’
- ‘Pervading everything is an atmosphere of laziness and Potemkin villages.’
- ‘The President has established something like a Potemkin government.’
- ‘A lot of countries in the region have elections and legislatures, but they seem to be Potemkin parliaments with no real power.’
- ‘What I've heard some of the judges say is they feel they've participated in a Potemkin court.’
- ‘A Potemkin nation based on a house of cards laws simply will not work.’
- ‘He too is portrayed as being unable to penetrate the local officials' Potemkin displays of fealty.’
- ‘For decades, the region has pursued a development strategy that brought it economic trophies that were part of a Potemkin economy, masking underlying failure.’
1930s: from Grigori Aleksandrovich Potyomkin (often transliterated Potemkin), a favourite of Empress Catherine II of Russia, who reputedly gave the order for sham villages to be built for the empress's tour of the Crimea in 1787.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.