Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A side dish consisting of cold cooked potato chopped and mixed with mayonnaise and seasonings.
- ‘Forgo bacon bits and prepared salads like potato salad.’
- ‘In Argentina we do pork, chicken and fish accompanied by salad, potato salad, tomatoes, unleavened bread and beer and wine.’
- ‘Most people don't need the 250 calories in a side salad like cole slaw or potato salad.’
- ‘But sit them on a piece of sourdough, with new potato salad, crème fraîche and plenty of seasoning, and they are fantastic.’
- ‘I chose a cold baked salmon salad with homemade coleslaw, potato salad and brown bread.’
- ‘Accompany with ligonberry jam, cucumber salad, potato salad, and radish salad.’
- ‘Side orders were uninspiring if traditional, featuring coleslaw, potato salad, boiled potatoes and side salad.’
- ‘The fried fish and pan fried potatoes, German style with potato salad if you like, are excellent and the chicken curry could hardly be beaten.’
- ‘We sit and drink rakia and soft drinks and over two or three hours share a large dish of potato salad, followed by home-made soup and pumpkin banitsa.’
- ‘If potato salad, grilled meat or other salads sit out in summer temperatures, you are asking for trouble.’
- ‘Red rice is one of the best things to have with potato salad and greens and chicken or fried pork chops.’
- ‘Serve this sweet corn bread alongside your barbecue chicken or ribs with sides of cole slaw, potato salad and baked beans.’
- ‘I offered to make baked beans, potato salad a green salad and other things I happened to come up with.’
- ‘Dad went immediately up to the counter and ordered a pulled pork dinner, choosing sides of coleslaw and potato salad.’
- ‘Other dishes to be recommended include garlic soup, potato salad and beef salad.’
- ‘There were dinner rolls and chicken cacciatore, baked ziti, and potato salad, peas and corn, and coleslaw.’
- ‘There are only three kinds of salads that can get away with not having lettuce - fruit salad, potato salad, and pasta salad.’
- ‘Sitting on the table were plates and bowls of coleslaw, chicken, potato salad, various cookies, and a large cake.’
- ‘We would return home for the first hot dog and potato salad of the season.’
- ‘I had my specialty - the barbecued beef sandwich, potato salad and baked beans.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.