One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white crystalline salt which occurs naturally in nitre and is used in preserving meat and as a constituent of gunpowder.
- ‘The first chemical explosive was gunpowder, or black powder, a mixture of charcoal, sulfur, and potassium nitrate.’
- ‘The Chinese discovered it before 1000 A.D. during the Sung Dynasty, using a compound of charcoal, potassium nitrate, and sulfur to produce powerful rockets and fireworks.’
- ‘Fertilizers containing high amounts of nitrate of soda, muriate of potash, potassium nitrate and ammonium nitrate can cause the highest accumulated salts.’
- ‘The flux also might contain silica, borax, soda ash, potassium nitrate and household flour.’
- ‘Several formulations are available, and all are based on fertilizers such as urea, ammonium nitrate, ammoniated phosphates, potassium sulfate, potassium nitrate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.