One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 19, a soft silvery-white reactive metal of the alkali-metal group.
- ‘In that case potassium rather than sodium is exchanged with calcium and magnesium.’
- ‘It also involves the loss of important blood salts like potassium and sodium.’
- ‘Nitrate crusts of potassium and calcium nitrate are most often found in caves and rock shelters in limestone areas.’
- ‘In a chemical sense, soap is a salt made up of a carboxylic acid and an alkali like sodium of potassium.’
- ‘He worked on light metal alloys and the electrolytic production of potassium and sodium.’
- ‘For example, lithium, sodium, and potassium comprised a triad of soft, highly reactive metals.’
- ‘At the same time we consume about a third less potassium, so that the ratio of potassium to sodium has shifted quite dramatically.’
- ‘Calcium and potassium are two of the top nutrients of concern in Americans' diets.’
- ‘The second most abundant ion was potassium, followed by sodium, magnesium, manganese and iron.’
- ‘Its high potassium, phosphorus and calcium help maintain high energy levels.’
- ‘Diuretics reduce fluid retention in the body by encouraging the removal of salts such as potassium and sodium from the blood.’
- ‘It is high in vitamins A and E, calcium and potassium, and low in calories.’
- ‘Sodium, potassium and blood sugar levels were estimated using standard methods.’
- ‘If you tend to be susceptible to cramps, try eating more foods that are high in potassium and calcium.’
- ‘The plants are sustained by water, enriched with calcium, potassium, nitrogen and other fertilisers.’
- ‘Patients no longer needed extra sodium and restricted potassium.’
- ‘He says a complete plant food with plenty of trace elements especially potassium and nitrogen and water it well in.’
- ‘This does not happen, however, because the cell membrane itself is impermeable to ions like sodium and potassium.’
- ‘These will include blood samples to find out levels of sodium, chloride, potassium and urea.’
- ‘He should incorporate a salad, as the magnesium and potassium will help counteract the sodium.’
Early 19th century: from potash (earlier potass, from French potasse) + -ium.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.