One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An alkaline potassium compound, especially potassium carbonate or hydroxide.
- ‘Nutrients found in pulverized rock powders - calcium, phosphorous, and potash - are also important in organic gardening.’
- ‘About 95 percent of all potash used is muriate of potash.’
- ‘Among them are Chilean nitrate, rock phosphate, greensand, and sulfate of potash magnesia.’
- ‘Chemists long suspected that both potash and soda ash contained previously undiscovered elements, but they were unable to extract those elements from the native materials.’
- ‘Secondly, should I be using phosphate and potash with nitrogen?’
- ‘Glauber created a mixture of saltpeter, lime, phosphoric acid, nitrogen and potash which was the first completely mineral fertilizer.’
- ‘Phosphates, potash, and agricultural produce are the mainstay of the economy.’
- ‘They are easy to grow - simply make a trench in prepared soil, dust with dolomite, add some blood and bone or animal manure with a light sprinkle of sulphate of potash.’
- ‘In North America, it remains to be seen if growers will use less potash or phosphate because of the higher nitrogen prices.’
- ‘‘Cover crops seem to keep the nitrogen and potash from leaching,’ Bennett said.’
- ‘Fertilizers are made up of three main ingredients: nitrogen, phosphorous and potash (or also called potassium).’
- ‘Avoid using fertilizer containing chlorine, such as muriate of potash.’
- ‘The suitcase contained chlorate of potash and paraffin wax, which was mixed with gelignite to form an explosive compound.’
- ‘Since potash is potassium chloride, applications to meet plant potassium needs could result in chloride leaching.’
- ‘Phosphate and potash can be applied in the fall or spring.’
- ‘To boost your blood and bone application, add sulphate of potash at the rate of a teaspoon per double handful.’
- ‘Make sure the potassium level is high and in the form of potassium sulphate, sometimes referred to as sulphate of potash.’
- ‘Industrial development in Jordan has revolved and remained concentrated to its mineral sectors, especially phosphate and potash.’
- ‘Sulfate of potash is also available commercially.’
- ‘Fertilizers containing high amounts of nitrate of soda, muriate of potash, potassium nitrate and ammonium nitrate can cause the highest accumulated salts.’
Early 17th century: from pot-ashes, from obsolete Dutch potasschen, originally obtained by leaching vegetable ashes and evaporating the solution in iron pots.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.