Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of quilted or thick fabric for handling hot dishes and pans.
- ‘‘Oh that,’ he shrugged dismissively placing a pot holder underneath the steaming pan, ‘It isn't anything to fret about, really.’’
- ‘The under-layer is a crisscross pattern, reminiscent of yarn pot holders, that the artist paints with an unsteady hand.’
- ‘Looking at Gabriel I motioned toward the pot holder in front of me.’
- ‘The owners are now cooking up a new business venture, but their 60 or so employees (including bakers, customer-service reps, and managers) aren't ready to hang up their pot holders just yet.’
- ‘She practically burned her hands since the pot holders had been worn thin and there was no room on the counter to put it down.’
- ‘He left the pot holder too close to the stove, and it caught fire.’
- ‘By total accident, I dropped the pot holder in the oven and it caught on fire!’
- ‘I was so busy wanting to make a good dinner for Marie that I didn't realize that I was holding the pot holder so close to the flame until it caught on fire.’
- ‘If people think it is all about macramé and pot holders, then we haven't done our job very well in educating them.’
- ‘Make sure older ones use caution - and pot holders - at the stove or oven.’
- ‘It is used to make not only vessels for stove-top and oven, but utensils, fan housings, pan liners, aprons, pot holders, and even wallpaper.’
- ‘Use a carving fork to hold the bird, or grip the bird with your hand using a clean pot holder or napkin.’
- ‘She let me help her cook - I fetched pot holders and handed her the wooden spoons with which she stirred huge pots of turnip soup, the fragrant steam filling the kitchen.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.