One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman who is employed to deliver or collect letters and parcels.
- ‘A strike by Royal Mail staff at Wythenshawe has been called off after a postwoman sacked for not wearing a cycle helmet was given her job back.’
- ‘Reading - one third of the postmen and postwomen are suffering from influenza, and deliveries are much delayed.’
- ‘A village postwoman has been branded a ‘nasty busy body’ for deliberately withholding mail from a resident who was an ‘outsider’.’
- ‘Currently, postmen and postwomen in inner London get £3,281, and in outer London £2,038, on top of the basic salary to compensate for the capital's high living costs.’
- ‘The bag was left next to a wall while the postwoman began her round.’
- ‘He meets a postwoman and falls in love with her.’
- ‘He said: ‘The postwoman was handing over some mail to one of the residents who noticed two youths on a blue moped pull up by the bike.’’
- ‘‘My plan was to stay with the main group and to see how I felt,’ explained the new champion, whose job as a Manchester postwoman certainly helped her training programme.’
- ‘More than 20,000 postmen and postwomen remained on unofficial strike across the capital and in parts of Essex, the North-West, Hampshire, the Midlands and Home Counties.’
- ‘The woman was discovered in a distressed state later on after Rochester told a postwoman to go to the house.’
- ‘We counted 219 cyclists crossing under the railway bridge, 40 of whom were postmen or postwomen.’
- ‘She also loved to receive letters and looked forward to the arrival of the postman or postwoman on a daily basis.’
- ‘A terrified postwoman is refusing to deliver mail to a house in the street because of a frightening cat.’
- ‘She initially started working as a postwoman, but decided to become a driving instructor to rid the region of its dangerous drivers.’
- ‘A district councillor said: ‘She is the friendly face of the Royal Mail, a traditional village postwoman who knows everyone and is good at her job.’’
- ‘As you can guess, 88 billion would keep a lot of postmen and postwomen in jobs delivering cheques.’
- ‘A council spokesman said: ‘The postwoman went through a very traumatic incident due to this dog and had she not been wearing thick clothing, her injuries could have been much worse.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.