Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the period since the last (Weichsel or Devensian) glaciation, from the sudden rise in temperature that marks the beginning of the Flandrian about 10,000 years ago.Compare with late-glacial
- ‘He recognized that all of the beaches had been tilted by postglacial uplift (now attributed to isostatic rebound).’
- ‘Overburden soils include glacial and postglacial deposits and recent fill.’
- ‘For most Pacific islands, postglacial isostatic effects led to a relative highstand of five to eight feet in regional sea level during mid-Holocene time, peaking perhaps 4,000 years ago.’
- ‘The widespread abundance of peatlands makes them valuable archives of past events for many periods in pre- and postglacial time and at differential spatial scales for most of Canada.’
- ‘The earliest postglacial period in Japan, characterized by hunter-gatherer communities, conventionally divided into six main periods between 10000 and 300 BC.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.