Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The statistical probability that a hypothesis is true calculated in the light of relevant observations.
- ‘They implemented a full Bayesian method for calculating posterior probabilities using Markov Chain Monte Carlo.’
- ‘Within the Bayesian framework, the posterior probability is obtained from the likelihood function and the prior probability.’
- ‘The expectations are actually obtained using the posterior probabilities rather than the prior probabilities.’
- ‘To summarize: the paradox arises because you use the prior probabilities to calculate the expected gain rather than the posterior probabilities.’
- ‘If the null hypothesis is rejected, the program calculates a posterior probability for functional divergence for each position in the alignment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.