One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for postcard
- ‘The ‘penny post’ and the halfpenny postal card enabled even poor people to communicate relatively cheaply over great distances.’
- ‘Even people who feel that they ‘have nothing to hide’ typically use curtains on their bedroom windows and send mail sealed in envelopes rather than postal cards.’
- ‘The golden era of the postcard had only begun since it was in 1894 that Britain's postal authorities permitted the sending of postal cards through its system at a special 1/2d stamp rate.’
- ‘Infact, I myself have forgotten the art of writing a letter, the format of a letter, the joy of reading a hand written mail and beaming over a familiar handwriting on a brown postal card.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.