One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A numbered box in a post office assigned to a person or organization, where letters for them are kept until called for.
- ‘The company was hiding behind a post office box and did not give me a real contact phone number or address.’
- ‘‘The cargo was destined for a company with a post office box in Khartoum that does not exist,’ he said.’
- ‘It suggests that people might not have a mailbox, but instead a post office box.’
- ‘The registrant's address is a post office box; the phone number listed in the registration has been disconnected.’
- ‘The cost, $378 U.S., was to be sent to a post office box in Panama.’
- ‘If you are a post office box in this profession and if you serve someone's interests which are in discrepancy with your own professionalism then it is obvious.’
- ‘Beware of promoters who are not locally based, provide no telephone number and who use a post office box or mail drop rather than a full street address.’
- ‘Two hundred submissions from eager new writers arrive at his post office box near his home in Rathgar, Dublin, every year.’
- ‘I also stopped past my new post office box on Wednesday, which was christened with its first letter.’
- ‘Setting up a home office is recommended because it is affordable, simple, and convenient; however, obtaining a post office box may be the best option for receiving business mail.’
- ‘He used the same documents to open 42 new accounts at various banks, and in all cases he gave his mailing address as a newsagency post office box which the banks were happy to accept.’
- ‘Any correspondence or donations mailed to our street address or to our post office box in Washington either was quarantined or has been slow to deliver.’
- ‘The scratch card was received on December 5 last and he promptly sent the ‘winning ticket’ off to the designated address, a post office box in Dublin.’
- ‘And it was thrilling, I must admit, when checks started appearing in my post office box, even though the thrill came tinged with shame.’
- ‘If your Honour looks at any of the documents, the address for service appears to be a post office box, which I do not think is appropriate.’
- ‘To ensure the privacy of your home address, you may choose to use a post office box as your address of record.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.