Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Occurring or done after sexual intercourse.‘post-coital contraception’
- ‘Police caught them in flagrante, or maybe in grass-stained, post-coital repose.’
- ‘His post-coital fun was motivated by a deep-seated fear that his lovers might one day leave him.’
- ‘That same exhilaration rolls like a cooling fog into the sun outside the studio as the audience - with lazy, satisfied, post-coital smiles on their lips - drifts out into the streets.’
- ‘My own practice picked up the pieces after a patient was given inaccurate information about post-coital contraceptives.’
- ‘The generally accepted medical practice in the use of the coil as a post-coital contraceptive device is that it may properly be introduced at any time up to the 20th day.’
- ‘It should be called emergency contraceptive pills or post-coital contraception and refers to a special use of birth control pills in high dose.’
- ‘A recent survey of black and Latina women in the U.S. found only 8 percent had some knowledge of post-coital contraception.’
- ‘There we were, viewing Miller's speech through a post-coital haze, when I said it: ‘OK, I have a deal for you.’’
- ‘Did he have a post-coital heart attack - the authors note no one ever said he was in bed alone - that led to the head bumping?’
- ‘But do they mean it or is it just post-coital reassurance?’
- ‘Interestingly, tamoxifen was originally invented in the UK as a post-coital contraceptive.’
- ‘It's shorthand for creativity/idleness, relaxation/nervousness, seduction / post-coital bliss, and a host of other contradictory cinematic moods.’
- ‘Although I have to say that post-coital head-stands don't really engender the closeness that one usually likes to experience after a ride on the carnal carousel.’
- ‘The Three Ages of Man, with its blatantly phallic flute and sexually sated putti, is a post-coital reflection on mortality.’
- ‘It has a vaguely post-coital ring to it - one almost feels one should be lighting a cigarette for her.’
- ‘Keep your cigarettes for post-coital conversations.’
- ‘Services include prophylactic treatment for sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy testing and post-coital contraceptive service, and referral for STI screening.’
- ‘Carol's comment struck Jack as oddly insightful, but all he said aloud was: ‘This is one of the weirder post-coital talks I've had.’’
- ‘Related developments are the ‘morning after’ pill, a post-coital contraceptive, and the so-far unfulfilled hope of a ‘male pill’.’
- ‘In the course of the journey, she reflects on her first sexual relationship, in which she apparently gleaned more emotional security from post-coital cigarettes than from her lover.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.