Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A tree-dwelling Australasian marsupial that typically has a prehensile tail.
- ‘The Plaintiff acquires brush tail possums - which are harvested in this State.’
- ‘Like these bats, honey possums feed by probing flowers with their tongues.’
- ‘The model in the center wears a possum fur coat to complete the look.’
- ‘It is what we, as carers of koalas, birds, possums, macropods (wallabies, kangaroos etc.) and other wildlife carers are trained to do.’
- ‘It is also my first chance to see the wonderfully unique wildlife here; kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, pademelons, possums, and various unique birds.’
- ‘Only through world wide marketing of possum fur products can this pest be safely controlled.’
- ‘Leonie Lamont found a dead possum in the car park which had fallen out of its tree overnight.’
- ‘There are a variety of possums, early kangaroos, koalas, wombats and quolls, as well as marsupial groups that are now completely extinct.’
- ‘In Tasmania we have such a huge amount of wildlife: brush tail possums, all sorts of animals that at a glimpse, at a distance in poor light or whatever, can appear to be a fox.’
- ‘Maybe you would see koalas, wombats, echidnas, brush tail and ring tail possums and emus if you're lucky.’
- ‘I followed his gaze and there on the eave of the neighbor's house sat a fat possum.’
- ‘Possum populations have been drastically reduced, resulting in significant improvements in forest health.’
- ‘The challenge, therefore, was to vaccinate the nocturnal, tree-dwelling possums.’
- ‘We've got tiny little radios that we can put on the honey possums now.’
- ‘The last honey possum collected in the Perth metro area was in Shenton Park in 1941.’
- ‘The main predators which are depleting the bird population in native forest are possums, stoats, rats and mice.’
- ‘A large fat possum was caught in bright blue light, hissed and ran up the nearest tree.’
- ‘The Plaintiff has a licence to take and hold brush tail possums from the Department of Parks Wildlife and Heritage in Tasmania.’
- ‘Many of these products come with a label that reads, " Thank you for buying possum fur.’
- ‘No, the aim is not to decimate the possum population.’
- 1.1North American informal An opossum.
- ‘A favourite southern dish is possum and taters: the opossum is parboiled, then salted and peppered and roasted in a pan with peeled, roasted sweet potatoes.’
Early 17th century: shortening of opossum.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.