One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A subatomic particle with the same mass as an electron and a numerically equal but positive charge.
- ‘So the normally stable proton can decay into a neutron, a positron, and a neutrino if continuously fed enough energy through constant, extreme acceleration.’
- ‘The full scattering amplitude is the sum of all contributions from all possible loops of photons, electrons, positrons, and other available particles.’
- ‘The term accelerators most commonly refers to particle accelerators, devices for increasing the velocity of subatomic particles such as protons, electrons, and positrons.’
- ‘The decaying atoms emit positrons, which encounter electrons and are annihilated, releasing pairs of gamma rays.’
- ‘Electrons, positrons, and photons can be separated and isolated at macroscopic distances.’
1930s: from positive + -tron.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.