Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for moving an object into position and automatically keeping it there.
- ‘This positioner holds the spoke at a slight angle, so that the shoulder of the tenon will have the correct angle to provide the dish of the wheel.’
- ‘Data acquisition, preliminary processing, control of the 3 - D electrode positioner, and stepper-motor controlled fine focusing of the microscope stage were performed with ASET software.’
- ‘The company said it would also market one of its current electrode systems without a positioner.’
- ‘The detector bundles were mounted in fiber optic positioners attached to translation stages for accurate placement.’
- ‘A flexible test device positioner gives a range of phone angles from the starting touch position to 15 degrees or any position within a range of 30 degrees.’
- ‘This wrist positioner is remarkable because of its simplicity.’
- ‘However, the center added, the study did show that ‘cochlear implants with electrode positioners were associated with a greater risk of developing meningitis ‘than those without.’’
- ‘For measurements of the z-profile of the capillary we used a piezo-driven objective positioner, which controls the distance between objective and the pressure cell.’
- ‘With the reversible cutting arm positioner, the mason can put the saw as close to the wall or ground as possible.’
- ‘The positioners are available with either linear ball or crossed roller slides that can carry loads of 8 lb in the ball slide configuration, and 15 lb in the roller slide configuration.’
- ‘This positioner addresses a wide spectrum of analytical, test, instrumentation, and production equipment applications automating the positioning of probes, test heads, lasers, optics, and numerous other system components.’
- ‘The voice-controlled endoscope positioner is now coupled with the robotic arm system as well as the control centre for adapting the operating environment.’
- ‘This new wrist positioner is remarkable because of its simplicity.’
- ‘Designed for both space and cost efficiency, these positioners measure just 3.75 x 4.0 x 4.75 inches.’
- ‘Proper installation of reinforcing steel in masonry walls often requires the use of specific positioners, connectors, and tools.’
- ‘In addition, measuring gauges have become more sophisticated over the years moving from simple measuring systems to automatic linear positioners to air-stops and digital read-outs - all making set-ups quicker and easier.’
- ‘Features include a 57-ft boom reach, four boom cables to provide structural rigidity with minimum maintenance, 1-in thick swing-up butt plate and trough, topping knives, and a transport positioner that lowers the boom in minutes.’
- ‘Remotely controlled mandibular positioners may provide a prospective means for predicting AMP treatment outcome.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.