One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘James Hall introduces his book with untypical portentousness, asserting that we need to understand Michelangelo, ‘if we really want to understand our culture’.’
- ‘Archie carries volume and weight and just the right edge of portentousness to give the viewer insight as well as satisfaction.’
- ‘Few books about spirituality are so devoid of portentousness or pretense.’
- ‘Moving away from allegory and portentousness and into more lyrical and fantastical realms, Messer at the same time sticks closer to home for subject matter.’
- ‘One of its aims seems to be to oppose the portentousness of so many other French films.’
- ‘Believers in propaganda by deed, usually choose to invest themselves with portentousness by selecting an anniversary that will freight their murder with meaning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.