One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A slide from one note to another, especially in singing or playing the violin.‘some schmaltzy portamentos’mass noun ‘vibrato and portamento are kept under strict supervision’
- ‘Strings possess that ‘white’ sounding, non-vibrato blend which keep textures absolutely clear, while the tiny touches of Italian portamenti give a foretaste of Rossini and Donizetti, who were shortly to arrive on the scene.’
- ‘String vibrato is less prominent in these recordings, and portamenti are used both for expression and to create a living legato.’
- ‘Ilona Domnich and Betabée Haas relished the wonderfully silly vocal rivalry in The Impresario, the swooning portamenti of one's ‘adagio, adagio!’’
- ‘In these 1949 recordings the strings are much more forward and emphasized, though the brass is certainly there, and the portamento utilized more.’
- ‘For instance, singers and string players used to slide between important notes of a phrase, an articulation called portamento that generally vanished by 1950.’
- ‘In arias such as ‘Quando le sere al placido’ from Luisa Miller, some might feel that Bocelli overdoes the portamento, though; at times he's even croony.’
- ‘The other instrumental, ‘A Hymnal’, belongs to guest cellist Anna Fritz, whose portamento flights are the most sensual thing on the album.’
- ‘His intonation, mode of approaching each note and portamenti in ‘Di Cupido impiego i vanni’, his words upon arrival, with Haim's spot-on accompaniment, said it all.’
- ‘I have a very strong feeling in the Andante Cantabile of the players only just resisting the temptation to portamento slides between the notes.’
- ‘Horenstein brings out every bizarre detail and even puts some in - string portamenti where none are written, deliberate smears in the brass, even slightly sour wind playing - all of which contributes to one's psychic queasiness.’
- ‘String players slid expressively from one note to the next - portamento, the style was called - in imitation of the slide of the voice.’
- ‘With generous string portamenti and relaxed rhythmic pointing, Karajan also washes the Czech character out of the Eighth Symphony.’
2mass noun Piano playing in a manner intermediate between legato and staccato.as modifier ‘a portamento style’
Italian, literally ‘carrying’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.