One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vein conveying blood to the liver from the spleen, stomach, pancreas, and intestines.
- ‘The ova penetrate the intestinal wall and pass through the portal vein to the liver, lung, and other tissues.’
- ‘The two major mechanisms for development of pyogenic liver abscesses are local spread from contiguous infections within the peritoneal cavity or hematogenous seeding of the liver either through the portal vein or hepatic artery.’
- ‘They then migrate along the portal vein to the mesenteric venules, where they produce large numbers of eggs.’
- ‘The bile salts are absorbed as whole molecules at the far end of the small intestine (the terminal ileum) and pass up the portal vein to the liver, whence they are re-secreted into bile.’
- ‘The islets are injected into the recipient liver via the portal vein or by subcapsular injection into the kidney or spleen.’
- ‘In addition to the traditional symptoms of biliary atresia, he developed portal hypertension - high blood pressure in the portal vein that carries blood to the liver.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.