One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rigid structural frame consisting essentially of two uprights connected at the top by a third member.
- ‘Filigree of propped portal frames support the floating ceiling.’
- ‘The Wrap House is made from rendered block work on a steel portal frame and, unconventionally but correctly, it faces sideways towards the north where the sun can be easily controlled.’
- ‘The box is supported on steel portal frames, and from these are propped frames that provide the spaces for the cafeteria and the main dual restaurant space.’
- ‘The structure is essentially three column portal frames that carry longitudinal channels, which bear purlins at 2m centres.’
- ‘The four-bay building has a concrete portal frame and the warehouse area has an eaves height of 5.8 metres.’
- ‘The rectangular plan is created with oxidized steel portal frames.’
- ‘Designed with the assistance of structural engineer Bill Paterson, the pavilion is a lofty, rectangular, flat-roofed, two-way portal frame.’
- ‘The design is an elegant, spaceship-like pod of laminated structural timber portal frames clad in aluminium panels.’
- ‘Its roof is supported on 12 laminated timber portal frames trussed at their ridges with inclined 2 x 4in struts and steel rod ties.’
- ‘It is anticipated that a portal frame building would be needed for much of the processing and there would also be external storage bays.’
- ‘A simple long glass box would not do, so Jim Eyre evolved a proposal that involved creating a tube out of square portal frames that are rotated, ensuring that at each end the bridge is level and square to the facade it addresses.’
- ‘The wall and the roof work together, in effect forming a two-pinned portal frame.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.