One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A portable building, used as a temporary office, classroom, etc.
- ‘But meeting O'Neill, the city's head of arts and museums, in his green Portakabin on what still looks like a building site outside the museum, this claim seems perhaps a little optimistic.’
- ‘It would be impossible to have this done by September, he said and if they stayed the school's Portakabins would be illegal structures.’
- ‘Suggestions are now being heard to find a suitable location for a temporary Portakabin surgery until its permanent replacement is ready for construction.’
- ‘This disconnection from the main building led to feelings of isolation, particularly for children in the special needs unit, who were housed in the Portakabins.’
- ‘Those early years, based in a small office in a Portakabin on the Murrayfield back pitches, were difficult ones for Hadden, to say the least.’
- ‘The only public building left is a part-time post office in a Portakabin parked in a stand of sprawling oak and magnolia trees by the roadside.’
1960s: from porta- and an alteration of cabin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.