One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of pigments (including haem and chlorophyll) whose molecules contain a flat ring of four linked heterocyclic groups, sometimes with a central metal atom.
- ‘In this work a systematic study of the photophysical properties of four cationic porphyrins in liposomes is performed and results are compared with those found in homogeneous media.’
- ‘The researchers used a nanoparticulate semiconductor electrode coated with a light-sensitive porphyrin or chlorophyll dye.’
- ‘Changes in apoprotein and porphyrin fluorescence suggest two classes of bound porphyrins.’
- ‘These observations suggest that the generation of 102 by lipophilic porphyrins occurs within the bilayer, which is also the site of damage.’
- ‘The NSD method has been used extensively to describe and analyze the out-of-plane distortions of porphyrins in heme proteins.’
- ‘It should also be noted that the doming deformation in the NSD context does not involve the iron, but only the 24 atoms of the porphyrin ring.’
Early 20th century: from Greek porphura ‘purple’ + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.