Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The increasing occurrence and acceptance of sexual themes and explicit imagery in popular or mainstream culture.‘the growing pornification of our society’
- ‘So we sit tight, and fret in secret about the pornification of the world.’
- ‘Her reluctance to see the connection between "girlification" and "pornification" seems understandable.’
- ‘She describes this process as the "pornification of society".’
- ‘Now 45, her latest book focussed on what she calls the "pornification" of America and was a paean to conservative values in family life, education and patriotism.’
- ‘As advertising and popular culture have become more heavily sexualised (to the point where some scholars speak of the 'pornification' of culture more generally), the impact upon children has increased.’
- ‘And the pornification of that market means attractiveness of girls and women is now synonymous with sexiness, while sexiness is synonymous with performance rather than actual pleasure.’
- ‘Until we have proper regulation of the pornification of mainstream media, the group will keep organising protests.’
- ‘"It's effectively pornification of children; some people have labelled it corporate paedophilia," he said.’
- ‘A campaigner against the "pornification" of America through what she sees as the erosion of family values and patriotism, she is also a persistent critic of Hollywood and the United Nations.’
- ‘The author decries the sexual explicitness (what she calls "pornification") of popular culture and suggests ways that parents can protect their children from the suggestiveness of media images.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.