One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
permeable, penetrable, perviousView synonyms
- ‘The entire surface is poriferous.’
- ‘In many specimens the anterior petals are delicate and the anterior poriferous zone narrows markedly towards the apical system.’
- ‘Fixed to the same spot in the ocean as the tree to the land, the nutritive surface of the poriferous animal is always in contact with the water.’
- ‘No nervous filaments were ever discovered in a poriferous animal.’
- ‘Their outer ends are covered over by a dermal poriferous membrane.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin porus ‘pore’ + -ferous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.