One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounNorth American
Ceps (wild mushrooms), especially as an item on a menu.
- ‘Favored dishes include lobster risotto with porcini mushrooms and white truffle oil.’
- ‘In early fall, porcini mushrooms and zucchini blossoms are just such a pair.’
- ‘Arrange the asparagus tips and sautéed porcini mushrooms around the filets.’
- ‘Among the glossiest and most luxurious seasonal food available is a sweet bowl of plump risotto and velvety porcini ceps mushrooms.’
- ‘Spoon some tripe, porcini mushrooms and tomatoes into each and set aside, keeping warm.’
- ‘It sounded delicious with porcini mushrooms and crispy leeks over mashed potatoes.’
- ‘Ditto the three-mushroom risotto, a wicked sludge of porcini, portobello, and shiitake mushrooms, bound together with slabs of Parmesan and more vats of white-truffle oil.’
- ‘Garnish with reserved tomato confit, porcini mushroom slices and chervil.’
- ‘In a sauté pan, heat grapeseed oil; sauté garlic for about 30 seconds; add porcini mushrooms and lightly brown.’
- ‘Spaghetti carbonara and giant, ricotta-stuffed ravioli in an earthy sauté of porcini mushrooms, barely touched with tomato, both did credit to the pasta roster.’
- ‘The atmosphere in Paul and Jeanne Rankin's restaurant is just as hot and modern as the menu, which includes roast rump of venison with porcini rosti, wild mushrooms and sun-dried cranberries.’
- ‘Buoyant gnocchi are brought down to earth by porcini mushrooms and a translucent but keenly flavored prosciutto.’
- ‘The pasta almost ripples in the emulsion, while the porcini and shiitake share, rather than fight for, your attention.’
- ‘To serve, slice the venison loin on the bias and arrange with some porcini mushrooms in the center of the plate.’
- ‘Who could fail to be stirred into making her pappardelle with fresh porcini or roast wild duck with port and blackcurrant sauce?’
- ‘Add the porcini mushrooms and sauté until golden brown.’
- ‘Amidst white truffles, porcini mushrooms, Gorgonzola cheese, chestnuts, and other treasures of the Piedmont region, Carlo Petrini grew up with a savory spoon in his mouth.’
- ‘Pizzas are made with fluffy dough and a selection of toppings, including red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, black olives, mozzarella and portobello and porcini mushrooms.’
- ‘We also went to the picturesque local shops and stocked up on tinned olive oil, dried porcini mushrooms, Lavazza coffee, Arborio rice and bottles of wine and Amaretto.’
Italian, literally ‘little pigs’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.