One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounNorth American
Ceps (wild mushrooms), especially as an item on a menu.
- ‘Favored dishes include lobster risotto with porcini mushrooms and white truffle oil.’
- ‘Spoon some tripe, porcini mushrooms and tomatoes into each and set aside, keeping warm.’
- ‘The pasta almost ripples in the emulsion, while the porcini and shiitake share, rather than fight for, your attention.’
- ‘Ditto the three-mushroom risotto, a wicked sludge of porcini, portobello, and shiitake mushrooms, bound together with slabs of Parmesan and more vats of white-truffle oil.’
- ‘We also went to the picturesque local shops and stocked up on tinned olive oil, dried porcini mushrooms, Lavazza coffee, Arborio rice and bottles of wine and Amaretto.’
- ‘Spaghetti carbonara and giant, ricotta-stuffed ravioli in an earthy sauté of porcini mushrooms, barely touched with tomato, both did credit to the pasta roster.’
- ‘Who could fail to be stirred into making her pappardelle with fresh porcini or roast wild duck with port and blackcurrant sauce?’
- ‘In a sauté pan, heat grapeseed oil; sauté garlic for about 30 seconds; add porcini mushrooms and lightly brown.’
- ‘Among the glossiest and most luxurious seasonal food available is a sweet bowl of plump risotto and velvety porcini ceps mushrooms.’
- ‘Pizzas are made with fluffy dough and a selection of toppings, including red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, black olives, mozzarella and portobello and porcini mushrooms.’
- ‘The atmosphere in Paul and Jeanne Rankin's restaurant is just as hot and modern as the menu, which includes roast rump of venison with porcini rosti, wild mushrooms and sun-dried cranberries.’
- ‘Amidst white truffles, porcini mushrooms, Gorgonzola cheese, chestnuts, and other treasures of the Piedmont region, Carlo Petrini grew up with a savory spoon in his mouth.’
- ‘It sounded delicious with porcini mushrooms and crispy leeks over mashed potatoes.’
- ‘Garnish with reserved tomato confit, porcini mushroom slices and chervil.’
- ‘Arrange the asparagus tips and sautéed porcini mushrooms around the filets.’
- ‘Buoyant gnocchi are brought down to earth by porcini mushrooms and a translucent but keenly flavored prosciutto.’
- ‘To serve, slice the venison loin on the bias and arrange with some porcini mushrooms in the center of the plate.’
- ‘Add the porcini mushrooms and sauté until golden brown.’
- ‘In early fall, porcini mushrooms and zucchini blossoms are just such a pair.’
Italian, literally ‘little pigs’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.