Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
plural nounNorth American
Ceps (wild mushrooms), especially as an item on a menu.
- ‘Among the glossiest and most luxurious seasonal food available is a sweet bowl of plump risotto and velvety porcini ceps mushrooms.’
- ‘Pizzas are made with fluffy dough and a selection of toppings, including red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, black olives, mozzarella and portobello and porcini mushrooms.’
- ‘It sounded delicious with porcini mushrooms and crispy leeks over mashed potatoes.’
- ‘Add the porcini mushrooms and sauté until golden brown.’
- ‘Favored dishes include lobster risotto with porcini mushrooms and white truffle oil.’
- ‘The pasta almost ripples in the emulsion, while the porcini and shiitake share, rather than fight for, your attention.’
- ‘To serve, slice the venison loin on the bias and arrange with some porcini mushrooms in the center of the plate.’
- ‘Buoyant gnocchi are brought down to earth by porcini mushrooms and a translucent but keenly flavored prosciutto.’
- ‘Who could fail to be stirred into making her pappardelle with fresh porcini or roast wild duck with port and blackcurrant sauce?’
- ‘Spoon some tripe, porcini mushrooms and tomatoes into each and set aside, keeping warm.’
- ‘Arrange the asparagus tips and sautéed porcini mushrooms around the filets.’
- ‘Spaghetti carbonara and giant, ricotta-stuffed ravioli in an earthy sauté of porcini mushrooms, barely touched with tomato, both did credit to the pasta roster.’
- ‘Garnish with reserved tomato confit, porcini mushroom slices and chervil.’
- ‘Ditto the three-mushroom risotto, a wicked sludge of porcini, portobello, and shiitake mushrooms, bound together with slabs of Parmesan and more vats of white-truffle oil.’
- ‘Amidst white truffles, porcini mushrooms, Gorgonzola cheese, chestnuts, and other treasures of the Piedmont region, Carlo Petrini grew up with a savory spoon in his mouth.’
- ‘We also went to the picturesque local shops and stocked up on tinned olive oil, dried porcini mushrooms, Lavazza coffee, Arborio rice and bottles of wine and Amaretto.’
- ‘In early fall, porcini mushrooms and zucchini blossoms are just such a pair.’
- ‘The atmosphere in Paul and Jeanne Rankin's restaurant is just as hot and modern as the menu, which includes roast rump of venison with porcini rosti, wild mushrooms and sun-dried cranberries.’
- ‘In a sauté pan, heat grapeseed oil; sauté garlic for about 30 seconds; add porcini mushrooms and lightly brown.’
Italian, literally little pigs.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.