One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marine crablike crustacean with long antennae, related to the hermit crabs.
- ‘In the context of physiological determinants of vertical zonation, note that many of the more coldadapted porcelain crabs could not withstand the habitat temperatures experienced by more warm-adapted congeners.’
- ‘A group of intertidal organisms that meets many of the above criteria for selection of a study system is the porcelain crabs, genus Petrolisthes.’
- ‘Anemone Reef consists of an anemone-covered plateau in 5 or 6m, with resident anenomefish and porcelain crabs.’
- ‘In the vicinity there was a large clump of green sea anemones, with an adult red-studded porcelain crab perched up high.’
- ‘The marine life is so rich that the dive masters don't even go out of their way to find seahorses, which are ignored for rarer porcelain crabs, ghost pipefish, eels and nudibranchs.’
- ‘While looking among anemone tentacles for shrimps, look also for porcelain crabs living under the anemone.’
- ‘Each encounter involved a single porcelain crab placed in a bucket with a single larger predatory crab, recorded by a video camera positioned on a tripod directly above the bucket.’
- ‘Here, I summarize work on the physiological tolerance limits of rocky intertidal zone porcelain crab species of the genus Petrolisthes to emersion - related heat stress.’
- ‘To find out how rising temperatures could affect these animals, scientists tested the thermal tolerance of porcelain crabs by hooking them up to a heart-rate monitor, immersing them in water, and gradually increasing the temperature.’
- ‘Recent studies of porcelain crabs have revealed interspecific variation that closely mirrors the differences seen for whole animal heat tolerance.’
- ‘On the underside of rocks lifted from the bottom cling tiny broad-clawed porcelain crabs Porcellana platycheles.’
- ‘A purple shore crab captures a porcelain crab by firmly grasping its cheliped.’
Mid 19th century: so named because of its smooth and polished shell.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.