One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British informal An endearingly sweet or pretty child (often used as an affectionate form of address)‘‘Here you are, poppet,’ the nurse said’
young woman, young lady, girl, schoolgirl, slip of a girlView synonyms
- ‘Taking an interest into my well-being, poppet?’
- ‘He flashed James an apologetic smile before continuing in the face of his wife's incredulous stares, ‘Any more objections, poppet?’’
- ‘"Thank you for bringing him inside, poppet," Julien agreed, smiling at his youngest daughter.’
- ‘Don't worry, poppet, your mother said you could come with me and go to the toilet in the woods.’
- ‘You have certainly got yourself into a Persian pickle, my poppet!’
- ‘Hillary is glad you have been able to unburden your soul, but you are making a few false assumptions yourself, my poppet.’
- ‘I watched him as he lifted the child by its leg and dangled the baby as if it were a poppet.’
- ‘She was a little poppet though and didn't even murmur.’
- ‘Perhaps it wasn't clean enough for the poor, precious poppet.’
- ‘The problem is not that your husband won't take you to parties, my poppet, the problem is that you blotted your social copy book.’
- ‘This is the way things are done round here, my poppet, so stop worrying immediately.’
- ‘But I'll be back, my little poppets, full of pictures and stories just as soon as possible.’
- ‘You should've damn well asked me in the first place, shouldn't you have, poppet?’
- ‘I was at a convenient store, and this woman was like, ‘Cheers, poppet!’’
- ‘Parents must be rushing to the talent agencies with visions of fame and money for their poppets.’
- ‘Even your average manufactured pop poppet has to work harder than her boy-band counterpart, who can rely on looks alone to generate pubescent squeals.’
- ‘There is cynicism at work every time politicians draft in some forgotten singer or soap poppet to do their dirty work.’
- ‘We were never going to be running Moby's fan club (not until he decides to knock out something with a bit of backbone anyway), but the cute bald poppet has got a point about Las Vegas.’
- ‘This is Thailand after all, isn't it, my poppet.’
- ‘My poor, strange, stoic little poppet, trapped inside her own body, her own shell of an existence.’
2historical A small figure of a human being used in sorcery and witchcraft.
- ‘Or, if the poppet represents the Other in a love spell, you treat it nice, talk sweetly to it.’
- ‘I would sew into the poppet his picture and/or handwriting sample, a small piece of moonstone and malachite, and some healing herbs which induce sleep, like lavender and lemon balm.’
- ‘But my husband gets these crazy ideas that my poppets are voodoo dolls and that I stick pins in them.’
- ‘If the people reading the misinformation are not stupid, they'll figure out that there's more to this than poppets and candle-spells.’
- ‘When I do a spell, I whip out a candle, make a poppet, and I chant.’
- ‘You can make a poppet, host a vigil, meditate, write a poem, anything that will contribute to the swell of positive energy.’
A mushroom-shaped valve with a flat end piece that is lifted in and out of an opening by an axial rod.
- ‘According to company sources, the flow rate of the 315/415-series valve is 35% higher than those of similarly sized poppet valves.’
- ‘The fuel pressure overcomes the spring tension in the poppet valve, forcing it from its ball and seat, injecting fuel into the prospective cylinder.’
- ‘They were also equipped with Franklin Type B rotary-cam poppet valve gear, which had outside drive shafts.’
- ‘The second combustion chamber also has a cam 18 driven exhaust poppet valve 14 which can be selectively disabled to a closed position to deactivate the second combustion chamber.’
- ‘The engine in question isn't your typical weed whip's two-stroke, but a high-value design that mimics a typical automotive four-stroke engine design with overhead cams, poppet valves, and cylinder scavenging via a supercharger.’
Late Middle English: based on Latin pup(p)a ‘girl, doll’. Compare with puppet.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.