One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Indian cooking) a large circular piece of thin, spiced bread made from ground lentils and fried in oil.
- ‘We had planned to sample a dessert from the short list including fruit salad and ice cream, but the combination of poppadums, curry, nan bread and beer in our mellow surroundings left us happily replete.’
- ‘Ten minutes, six popadoms, a plate of extraordinarily tangy lime chutney and two Cobra beers later, eight steaming dishes turned up on our table.’
- ‘In fact the whole experience, from approaching the restaurant to ordering and receiving the mandatory poppadoms and chutneys, leaves expectations low and one possibly ruing the lack of a bring-your-own-bottle policy.’
- ‘Over the years, the company's range has expanded to include sauces in both jars and cans, ready made meals, poppadoms, ready-to-eat breads and Indian snacks.’
- ‘Again, papads are rolled out paper thin whereas poppadoms are rolled out a little thicker and puff up more.’
- ‘The bill for four of us came to £48, reasonable for four main dishes, a couple of side dishes, rice, naans, poppadums, and a couple of beers.’
- ‘If you're dying to munch on something, skip the potato chips and hit an Indian restaurant for some poppadum bread instead.’
- ‘He even likes to try the starters and popadoms when we go for a curry.’
- ‘We were served a simple amuse bouche of foie gras parfait, on a thin poppadom covered in poppy seeds.’
- ‘We ordered drinks - Indian beer and house white wine and popadoms - and the small restaurant, which must seat fewer than 40 people, soon began to fill up.’
- ‘We ordered poppadums and two starters to share out, a Korai mixed special and a veggie samosa.’
- ‘The preprandial pickles are splendid and so are the popadoms with them.’
- ‘I am actually developing a taste for poppadoms.’
- ‘While we waited for my starter (the rest of the gang had opted out of a first course) we tucked into crunchy poppadums and pickles.’
- ‘It is a hot, sweet and sour delight that you can make time and again for use with fish and chicken dishes, or as a dipping sauce for spring rolls, poppadoms and savouries.’
- ‘We had ordered a pint of lager each and began with four poppadoms and a pickle tray which arrived very quickly.’
- ‘We also had Indian food including mangoes, chapattis and poppadoms.’
- ‘Our friends having rolled in from the rain, we ordered our meals and set about the poppadums and pickles.’
- ‘A typical Kerala meal appears to be: fat rice, sambar or dhal, poppadums, pickles and curds, with pineapple for dessert.’
- ‘I'll just have to drink and have a few poppadums.’
From Tamil pappaḍam.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.