One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A French army canteen or kitchen.
restaurant, cafeteria, refectory, mess hallView synonyms
- ‘We take our meals at the popote five minutes' walk from here.’
- ‘He was always the life of the popote, and if he were absent from table the meal always seemed dull.’
- ‘At the evening meal in the popotes of the parachute corps every table was hatching revolutionary battle-plans.’
- ‘We made a date to have lunch at the popote.’
- ‘Her loathing for the German officers, for whom she had kept a popote for four years, could hardly have been more emphatically expressed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.