One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large outdoor event, typically lasting several days, at which popular music is performed.
- ‘It has gone down in history as one of the greatest pop festivals of all time.’
- ‘On the trains, part of the Great Western Main Line will be closing from today, which will affect people travelling to the Reading pop festival and also to the Wales-England rugby international in Cardiff.’
- ‘There was also pop festival style over-hype as the commentator strove to convince the crowd that the grand parade of animals was really the highlight of the day.’
- ‘There were heavy downpours even before Scotland's biggest rock and pop festival kicked off and the rain threatened to upstage the performers.’
- ‘Everyone who has ever been to a large pop festival, for example, would expect huge temporary stages and arenas to have been checked by experts.’
- ‘Sharon, known for her style and elegance, has represented India at international pop festivals throughout the world.’
- ‘Mark Ellen's wonderful evocation of early pop festivals brought back what I think were some great memories of the Seventies - but there again, I might well be imagining things.’
- ‘More than 30,000 pop fans at a huge pop festival in Glasgow were left disappointed yesterday after he had to pull out.’
- ‘A man has been jailed for more than two years for selling ecstasy tablets at a pop festival.’
- ‘The pop festival is being organised by promoters Funtime.’
- ‘His last job was on the Isle of Wight, where he developed a special interest in pop festivals.’
- ‘A student who admitted a part in a ‘terrifying’ riot at a Yorkshire pop festival has escaped being jailed.’
- ‘In the 1960s, Allen Ginsberg took oral poetry into coffee houses, pop festivals, and art happenings.’
- ‘Think of the collective energy released at pop festivals, propaganda rallies and the like.’
- ‘Throughout the hotel you will find works of art and posters from Sixties' pop festivals.’
- ‘The pop festival books absolutely direct and prosaic items to excite the really vast crowd.’
- ‘At other times, a sense of anticipation - not unlike at pop festivals - helped create a feeling of exhilaration.’
- ‘I'm not against a pop festival, I'm very much in favour of them, the difficulty arises in the location.’
- ‘It was not like a pop festival which attracts a lot of high spending young people.’
- ‘The young carers festival would be of a bigger profile than Glastonbury pop festival if it were to reflect the real number of young carers in the country and do justice to the issues.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.