One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A place for playing pool.
- ‘Throughout the day, people play cards or leisurely shoot some stick in the poolroom.’
- ‘A boy had taken some balls from the poolroom and was juggling then when they clashed in mid air.’
- ‘Robbers struck saloons, poolrooms, and restaurants shortly after the workers in nearby factories received their pay.’
- ‘He used to run a small gymnasium over a poolroom on Fourteenth Street, near Luchow's, and he still owns it.’
- ‘The sharp-dressed young ‘cats’ who hung on the corners and in the poolrooms, bars and restaurants, and who obviously didn't work anywhere completely entranced me.’
2A betting shop.
- ‘At this time he was already gambling at the poolroom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.