One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hairstyle in which the hair is drawn back and tied at the back of the head so as to hang down.
- ‘She'd put her hair up in a ponytail that was quite cute because it was so small.’
- ‘There were maybe only 2 days during the past summer that she hadn't had her hair in a ponytail.’
- ‘I dug my brush out of my bag, put my hair up in a ponytail and wiped off my mascara and eyeliner.’
- ‘I leant back with my black brush in my hand and combed my hair into a high ponytail.’
- ‘While all the other little girls in grammar school had very straight hair worn in cute ponytails, I had to suffer with a frizzy Afro.’
- ‘This season's hair is either tousled or tailored with a soft wave; think loose ponytails or chignons and a well-trimmed fringe.’
- ‘Try applying conditioner from the roots to the tips and pull your hair softly into a ponytail at the nape of the neck.’
- ‘He saw his parents walk in followed by a little girl with her brown hair in a ponytail.’
- ‘They work great on my very thick, pretty curly hair for ponytails and sloppy buns.’
- ‘Her long hazelnut coloured hair was tied back into a ponytail which hung down to her lower back.’
- ‘Now that he has replaced the ponytail with the crew cut he even looks the part.’
- ‘Perhaps it's the way they have their hair styled in perfect ponytails, their make-up highlighting their fine features.’
- ‘Erin shook her head, or as best she could as she was pulling her hair back in a ponytail.’
- ‘They showed up on the runways in all ways, shapes and forms, from chunky plaits and blunt cuts to layered styles with wispy ends and long braided ponytails.’
- ‘Both women were currently putting their long hair up into ponytails, to make themselves cooler in the desert heat.’
- ‘Marc Jacobs and Calvin Klein favored models with loose, low ponytails with that same wrapped finish in their spring collections.’
- ‘Avoid styles that cause too much tension with prolonged wear, like tight ponytails and cornrows.’
- ‘Other low- and no-maintenance looks include chignons, ponytails or donning a bandanna.’
- ‘I ran up the stairs and brushed my hair back into a ponytail, and cleaned my teeth.’
- ‘The car driver was a similar age with short dark hair and one of the rear passengers was a woman with dark hair in a ponytail.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.