One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slender predatory bug which moves quickly across the surface film of water, using its front legs for catching prey.
- ‘Children will be able to get answers to all their burning bug questions, like whether a woodlouse eats wood, whether a centipede really has one hundred legs and how a pond skater skates.’
- ‘There were leebeens, water beetles and pond skaters in the water.’
- ‘As a child my family would take a Sunday walk down the local canal side; we'd kneel at the water's edge watching pond skaters and water beetles going about their business.’
- ‘We found all kinds of creatures from leeches to water snails and pond skaters and lots of other typical British aquatic life.’
- ‘Water striders, the insects also known as pond skaters or Jesus bugs, have long baffled scientists who couldn't explain how these creatures ‘walk’ on water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.