Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The animals, especially the invertebrates, that live in ponds or stagnant water.‘pupils can discover aspects of pond life for themselves’
- ‘The public's help is needed to put plants in the pond which will keep the water healthy for wildlife and create new habitats for pond life.’
- ‘Monitor all pond life carefully for diseases and parasites.’
- ‘Planted at the bottom of the pond, they produce fronds that add oxygen and encourage other beneficial pond life.’
- ‘It isn't a big pond, but it has fair number of fish and other pond life living in it.’
- ‘Water gardens are ponds having water falls, pond plants and pond life like exotic fishes.’
2British informal A contemptible or worthless person or group of people.‘gangs of foul-mouthed pond life’
- ‘Typically, they'd have nothing to do with spammers, the 'pond life' of the Internet.’
- ‘He responded by labelling the paper as 'the methane gas rising from the pond life of Irish journalism'.’
- ‘We work hard all year to try and give our kids a decent Christmas and this pond life has to try and spoil things for others.’
- ‘I'm all for looking for the best in people, but I think you can safely define someone as pond life when they can't even be bothered to smoke properly.’
- ‘But nowadays the people who throng it are now largely a sort of traveling pond life.’
- ‘It would be nice to see Yorkshire "ladies" kicking him into the North Sea where pond life like him belong.’
- ‘These 'pond life' should apparently be alternately sterilized, publicly flogged, or wiped off the face of the earth altogether.’
- ‘We should exterminate 'em with all the other pond life.’
- ‘Are you pond life or a platinum partner?’
- ‘Anyway, I hate literary critics - pond life the lot of 'em.’
- ‘They are the lowest form of political pond life and we do not need them.’
- ‘They are highly effective, immensely powerful and very dangerous pond life, but pond life nevertheless.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.