Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A medical condition affecting the skin of the palms of the hand or the soles of the feet.
spots, skin eruption, breakoutView synonyms
- ‘Allergic contact dermatitis and coexistent athlete's foot were excluded, and pompholyx was diagnosed.’
- ‘Pompholyx is a form of acute dermatitis localised to the palms and soles, presenting as an itchy eruption with vesicles that can amount to bullae if severe.’
- ‘The pompholyx began to be troublesome again shortly after the azathioprine was stopped.’
- ‘The pompholyx fluctuated, but there was no consistently good response to treatment.’
- ‘It is not often used as the sole treatment for pompholyx, but excellent responses have been described.’
Early 19th century: from Greek pompholux, pompholug- bubble, blister.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.