One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medical condition affecting the skin of the palms of the hand or the soles of the feet.
spots, skin eruption, breakoutView synonyms
- ‘It is not often used as the sole treatment for pompholyx, but excellent responses have been described.’
- ‘The pompholyx began to be troublesome again shortly after the azathioprine was stopped.’
- ‘Allergic contact dermatitis and coexistent athlete's foot were excluded, and pompholyx was diagnosed.’
- ‘Pompholyx is a form of acute dermatitis localised to the palms and soles, presenting as an itchy eruption with vesicles that can amount to bullae if severe.’
- ‘The pompholyx fluctuated, but there was no consistently good response to treatment.’
Early 19th century: from Greek pompholux, pompholug- ‘bubble, blister’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.